Needed files

The place for peer-to-peer support for VPM Enterprise 9.1, our latest framework.

Needed files

Postby btiguy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:47 pm

When creating an install for an app written in vfw90, precisely what support file (not app files) need to be included, such as msvcr,dll etc. I never know what to include when running instalshield, other then the files directly needed within my app. such mytable.dbf, mytable.cdx, etc. I'm just not technical.

Also, is there any way to update my clients app from vfp50 to vfp90 environment? THen have my app origianlly installed with the my app written in vfp50 and would like to change the app to vfp90.
TIA
Don
btiguy

Re: Needed files

Postby wftdata » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:10 pm

Don,

I install all required files in each users directory. In the past the install program would register the dll's, etc, in a system directory. I found as operating systems are updated, the place where these files reside could change and cause a problem on an old install.

The basic RUN Files should be: VFP9RENU.DLL, VFP9r.dll, msvcr71.dll,GDIPlus.dll, ( config.fpw, Foxtools.fll if you use it). Add any other files to the list in the install and it should be good.

FYI, I use INNO Setup for my installer (FREE). (http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php). It is much better than Install Shield and allows for much easier setup and customization.

Regards,

Bill
wftdata

Postby btiguy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:35 am

Thanx, you're answered my question. To be clear, say my client has a folder name \MyApp and in that folder is the exe, named MyApp.exe. If I understand your note, the mentioned files should go in the \MyApp folder. I'm not very technical, but I always thought installshield was doing some magic to register the support files. Apparently having those file in the folder with the app is all that is needed.

Finally, the app.exe I created is over 20 years old and was developed in VFP50. I've been using VFP90 for years and would like to update the old app to VFP90. Can I just issue the above mentioned files to the \MyApp folder and then convert the MyApp.exe to vfp90. (I assume the conversion from VFP50 to 90 is no simple task, but I think I can handle that.

Thanx again for your help.

Don
TIA
Don
btiguy

Postby wftdata » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:25 pm

Don,

The above is assumed you are using VFP9. I'm not 100% sure but I think if you re-compile your 5.0 app in VFP9 it should work using the VFP9 Run Files. Give a test try and see if it works. Test all your system functions. VFP9 has much more functionality but is backward compatible. Good Luck.

Bill
wftdata

Postby btiguy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:29 pm

I created an exe in VFP9 and basically it ran fine. I had to set the strictdate and it didn't like one line of code that created an array. Once these were fixed, the exe ran after copying the above mentioned support files were added to the application folder.

I think I good to go. Thanx for your help. I really like VFP 90 for the added features. It's even more enjoyable to have VPME as a framework to develop in VFP90

Have a great day and thanks for the help.
TIA
Don
btiguy

Return to VPM Enterprise 9.1