Memo in Picklist

The place for peer-to-peer support for developing client-server applications with VPME 9.1.

Memo in Picklist

Postby wftdata » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:06 pm

Hi,

Happy New Year!

I'm using VPM 9.1 and converting app to C/S with views. I have a pick list with Ref Integrity using views with a code and a desc field (Memo) in the table. When I display the pick list "Memo" appears. I want the data in the Memo to be displayed, not the word "Memo" and the data to be placed in field.

Also another field is similar but I want to append the Memo to the field, not replace it. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bill
wftdata

Re: Memo in Picklist

Postby Bob » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:45 am

The pick list uses a textbox to display the field, and since a textbox is limited to 255 characters, displays Memo... same as Browse window.

Instead of the field name, use a calculated field, i.e. LEFT(memoFieldName,n) to see the content, where n is less than 255. Finding a value for n that provides useful data in a pick list can be difficult.

When users need to enter or edit a memo field, I usually present it's value in a new modal form with an edit box bound to the memo field (in the 'default' datasession).

If you want users to append data to a memo field without allowing them to edit existing content, you'll need to gather the new content and append to the memo field in code. Possibly ... display the current content in a bound edit box that does not allow editing. Gather the new input in an unbound edit box and do the append in the 'save' method.
Bob

Re: Memo in Picklist

Postby wftdata » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:43 am

Thanks Bob,

I forgot that method. I'm busy with the massive conversion and my brain is on overload fixing many changes I need using views. Appreciate your help. Only 9 degrees down on LI...That must be usual for you upstate.

Have a great day!

Bill
wftdata

Return to VPM Enterprise 9.1 - Client Server