SQL and VPME 2017

The place to discuss the rollout of the VPME 9.1 Client-Server SQL Toolkit. The VPME 9.1 Client-Server SQL Toolkit adds specialized tools to VPME 9.1 to facilitate the creation of a frontend to access MS SQL Server and MySQL backend databases.

SQL and VPME 2017

Postby stecenko » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:50 pm

Hi All,

There has been little activity here and I'm wondering if any one is still working with VPME. I've converted several of my own projects to run in SQL and am converting a project written in pure VFP in the early 90s to SQL.

I haven't done a new project in years; upgrading to sql has kept me busy.

I check the Promatrix news group regularly. Is any one out there? What are you doing?
Richard Stecenko
Interactive Computer Services Inc.
Victoria, British Columbia
stecenko

Re: SQL and VPME 2017

Postby Gerhard Schmidbauer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:33 am

Hi Richard,

still using VPME but also no new project. Still busy maintaining my app.
I also check the news group regularly.

Gerhard

stecenko wrote:Hi All,

There has been little activity here and I'm wondering if any one is still working with VPME. I've converted several of my own projects to run in SQL and am converting a project written in pure VFP in the early 90s to SQL.

I haven't done a new project in years; upgrading to sql has kept me busy.

I check the Promatrix news group regularly. Is any one out there? What are you doing?
Gerhard Schmidbauer
URANUS Software GmbH
Germany
Gerhard Schmidbauer

Postby cti2 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:17 am

Hi Richard; I am still busy full time writing business apps for a local Electronics manufacturing company. Using VFP9 and VPME. I have been working for 26 years for this same customer. This system is a hybrid using Foxpro DOS and VFP sharing about 400 tables. Yes I'm still working with Foxpro DOS, many of the people here prefer it over VFP because they can do everything from the keyboard.
I also still maintain a few of my other large VFP/VPME apps for Aviation, which are for sale on the Web.
VFP9 still provides all the functionality I need for these very robust apps.
Retirement is in the future but I will continue using VFP/VPME until then.
Say Hi to all the Bears downtown.
Pete Ryder
New Hampshire
cti2

Postby ChuckASI » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:35 pm

Hey all
Kind of like the others. Maintaining systems for around 40 customers. Mostly VPM6 and a couple of VPM8.1. All of them are Free Tables. None are even close enough to the limits to need SQL. Probably only going to maintain another 2 years or so as I have reached retirement age and wife is about to. Will probably give the customers a 1 year warning to find some other software unless someone comes along and buys the company. I am the only employee and the original owners widow is now the owner and she lives in Phoenix and only comes around once a year. Write an occasional new program to interface other files with the system and occasional new report but otherwise no new development.
Chuck Prickett
Associated Systems, Inc.
chuckp@associatedsys.com
ChuckASI

Postby ChuckASI » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:42 pm

Hey Pete
Yeah some of them, including me some days, have a tough time turning loose of that DOS stuff. lol I still have 2 customers that have been with us for over 20 years that a still running our software in DOS (Clipper). One of them I have had their system ready to convert to VFP9 for over 7 years, they just won't pull the trigger. They told me back in March that this year is the year, but of course they said that for the last 5 years also. lol They keep paying a maintenance fee so I keep taking it and keep my old Windows XP 32bit machine available.
Chuck Prickett
Associated Systems, Inc.
chuckp@associatedsys.com
ChuckASI

Return to VPME 9.1 Client-Server SQL Toolkit