VPM IDE Invisible on startup

The place for peer-to-peer support for Visual ProMatrix versions older than VPME 9.1.

VPM IDE Invisible on startup

Postby mhoganid8 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:03 pm

Not sure what happened, but when I launch VPM 9, the icon appears in my windows taskbar but VPM is completely invisible. If I select the instance in the taskbar and hit enter, then I can see a command window so I can then set the _screen.windowstate to 2.

Can I re-set this in some way? Config.fpw and main.ini don't seem to have an effect on things.

If I then run vfp, it also shows only the command window - but when I reset _screen.windowstate to 2 then vfp will re-open properly - until the next time I run VPM!
mhoganid8

Re: VPM IDE Invisible on startup

Postby Bob » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:51 am

Also look at VPM.fpw in the VPM home folder.

If that does not show anything that is causing the problem, use SYS(2005) to find what resource file is being used.

? SYS(2005)

Probably your VPM resource file. SET RESOURCE OFF, then USE the resource file shown, make a back up, then ZAP.

Try VPM and VFP again.
Bob

Re: VPM IDE Invisible on startup

Postby mhoganid8 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:17 pm

Actually, it turns out the problem was in the windows registry. This post got me going in the right direction:
http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=90649

No doubt some old code I inherited changed to large negative Row/Column values (-32000).

Ignore the following reply...

Thanks - but none of that seems to resolve it. I renamed sappfres.* (the resource file being used) to no effect and the vpm.fpw file has one line: SCREEN = OFF - changing it to SCREEN = ON makes no difference.

I have my old machine with the same version of VPM with the same SCREEN = OFF and that does open properly (well, it opens VPM in a third of the screen real estate, so I do have to maximize).

If I just run vpm.exe directly from file explorer without specifying the fpw file, the window flashes on the screen for a fraction of a second, then disappears.

Another related issue, when I do get back to the IDE and see the VPM Object Builder screen, it's not showing the application menu - it DOES show the project title but not the project's menu. If I 'load project' or 'run application' and then exit the application, the menus DO appear.

It's all very odd...
mhoganid8

Return to VPM - older versions