test and production environment

The place for peer-to-peer support for Visual ProMatrix versions older than VPME 9.1.

test and production environment

Postby jluishg » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:11 am

Hi, I'm from Guatemala CA, I just started to support a company that uses promatrix and vfp7 in its apps. The person who build de apps did not set a test environment, so when a change is made in the app and run it, the production database is affected. Can you explain me how the test and production environment work in promatrix? Is it posible to fix the problem and create a test environment now? I think the solution would be in the projects's directories options but, if someone can give an advice, I'll be glad. Thx in advance.
jluishg

Re: test and production environment

Postby cti2 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:16 am

I always keep the development environment separate - which is likely a must - in most cases.
Im my case, This is done by using a separate PC that is not connected to the main system.
You will need a copy of all the production files to do your testing with.
Set up the off-line PC to mimic the actual production enviromment .
VFP and Promatrix don't do this for you.
if the main system uses a different drive letter (it should) then on a single, offline dev machine you can keep everything on the C: drive but MAP the C: drive to the same drive letter as the server in the production environment.
In windows explorer, select C:, then from the menus you can map it to F: for example, then C: and F: will be identical.
HTH, Pete Ryder
cti2

Return to VPM - older versions