Multiuser saving issues

The place for peer-to-peer support for VPM Enterprise 9.1, our latest framework.

Multiuser saving issues

Postby CAM » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:46 pm

I have an app. where approx. 20 people are keying data into one file using Views.

It seems, that if more than one user clicks Save or More at the same time, they get Error 108, "File is in use by another. . ." and need to keep clicking Save over and over until the record is finally saved. I have tried putting "Set Reprocess to -1" before the Save code but they still get the message.

When I test it using 2 PCs, I just see "waiting for lock" and then the save happens when the lock is released, but the users get this message that requires their interaction. I would prefer that they just "wait for lock(unlock)" as it will run more seamlessly.

I noticed a field named REPROCESS in the S...FAPD file that contains "0" but I can't find any information about it. Should this be set to another value?

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

BTW - This application was done with VPME 9.0, I do not have the luxury of upgrading it to 9.1 at this time.

Thank you.
Cathie
CAM

Re: Multiuser saving issues

Postby Bob » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:53 am

REPROCESS in the APF file is used with the VFP SET REPROCESS command within VPME's application object. It is set in the IDE's Options, Environment dialog.

Not so sure how you can handle the messages you are seeing. Some may be from VPME and some from VFP. The VFP Help file may offer some tips.
Bob

Postby stecenko » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:57 am

Is this view in a DBC that also includes tables?

I can't remember the details, but when a table is updated, its DBC is locked briefly in order to do something or another.

With views this is not necessary, but (here's where it gets hazy), VFP still checks the DBC to see if it needs to do whatever it does with a table. So it could be the DBC that is causing the 108
Richard Stecenko
Interactive Computer Services Inc.
Victoria, British Columbia
stecenko

Postby CAM » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:12 pm

The view(s) are stored in a DBC on each user's C: drive (done to avoid error message 2005? when opening form/view).
The shared table is stored in a DBC on the server.
CAM

Postby CAM » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:17 pm

What would be the downside of moving the table outside of the DBC? Would I still be able to use all of the VPME data builder functions?
CAM

Postby CAM » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:40 pm

I resolved the problem with the above error message by putting the following in the SAVE method of the form:

"Set Reprocess to -1"
DoDefault()

This way if the lock cannot be immediately obtained, the program will wait until it can be without displaying a message and requiring a response and retrying of the SAVE.
CAM

Return to VPM Enterprise 9.1