New on ProMatrix

The place for users to ask questions and make suggestions related to the ProMatrix Forums operation and organization.

New on ProMatrix

Postby oscarrd » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:06 pm

Hello,

I'm working now with the Promatrix framework, I have a big application that need to move to SQL Server, almost 80 percent of the tables access are done by local views, the things is, would be so difficult and what I'll have to wait for moving my application to Promatrix and Sql Server instead of building from 0 (cero) which it's not preferred options.

Thanks for your comments,
Oscar Portorreal
VFP 9.0 SP2
Santo Domingo, Domincan Republic
oscarrd

Re: New on ProMatrix

Postby stecenko » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:11 pm

Are you using VPME 9.1.12?
Richard Stecenko
Interactive Computer Services Inc.
Victoria, British Columbia
stecenko

Postby oscarrd » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:13 pm

Thanks for your responses.

Yes I am using it that version
oscarrd

Postby stecenko » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:25 pm

If you are moving to sql and most of what you've done is in views then it isn't really that difficult. Tedious and boring, but not difficult.

Here are a few thoughts for you.

It will be a lot easier if you do not convert all the VPME meta data tables to SQL. If you can leave them as VFP tables, it's easier.

If you use GUIDs for primary keys, you will again find things easier. That's because you don't need to lock and unlock records to get sequential primary keys.

Do not write calculated fields to the database for the same reason. Writing calculated fields makes commit and rollback trickier.

Use views for the forms that write the data. Use SQL passthrough for the forms that collect data for display and reports.
Richard Stecenko
stecenko

Postby Benrahman » Wed May 11, 2011 8:55 pm

Hi stecenko, where i got the sample for that, I am using VMP 9.1.11, do you have a sample promatrix and sql Server? coould you share with us pls?
I just learn from the sample, one ore two table in sql server run the application from promatrix.

could you like to advise please.
TIA
Benrahman
benrahman2000[at]yahoo.com

stecenko wrote:If you are moving to sql and most of what you've done is in views then it isn't really that difficult. Tedious and boring, but not difficult.

Here are a few thoughts for you.

It will be a lot easier if you do not convert all the VPME meta data tables to SQL. If you can leave them as VFP tables, it's easier.

If you use GUIDs for primary keys, you will again find things easier. That's because you don't need to lock and unlock records to get sequential primary keys.

Do not write calculated fields to the database for the same reason. Writing calculated fields makes commit and rollback trickier.

Use views for the forms that write the data. Use SQL passthrough for the forms that collect data for display and reports.
Benrahman

Postby stecenko » Thu May 12, 2011 2:52 pm

No sorry. I don't now have an example. I was working with another developer on a project with MySQL. I just did parts of it and the other developer put the bits and pieces together for the finished application.

A good place to start is here:
http://www.hentzenwerke.com/catalog/mysqlvfp.htm
Richard Stecenko
stecenko

Return to ProMatrix Forums User Questions / Suggestions