MySQL server views don't show in VPME or VFP ODBC

The place for peer-to-peer support for developing client-server applications with VPME 9.1.

MySQL server views don't show in VPME or VFP ODBC

Postby ChuckFlowers » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:26 pm

The server view was set up on MySQL server using SQLYog, shows there and also shows up in FileMaker 11 using the same ODBC connection I am trying to use on VPME or VFP.
ChuckFlowers

Re: MySQL server views don't show in VPME or VFP ODBC

Postby JoeLawson » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:28 pm

Hi Chuck,

I'm pretty sure that the problem is that VFP expects you to use VFP views or CursorAdapters to connect to MySQL tables.

If you want to use VPME/VFP to create a front end app for a MySQL database, there's no need to create MySQL views. With VPME you use the Data Builder to create VFP remote views to your MySQL tables. You can then use the VPME active data dictionary with the VFP remote views.
Best,

Joe Lawson
ProMatrix
JoeLawson

Postby ChuckFlowers » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:54 am

It seems a waste. I use other tools, and it certainly helps not to have to repeat the same work.
If I weren't using FileMaker, I would have likely just blamed it on an ODBC quirk, and never have known better.

Do views set up on other db servers, like Oracle and MS SQL Server, show up as usable tables in VFP and VPME ?

Thanks,

Chuck
ChuckFlowers

Postby JoeLawson » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:10 pm

Hi Chuck,

I can't really answer your questions about views on other DB servers.

I've only used VPME/VFP to connect to backend databases. It's just much easier for me to use VFP remote view capability -- particularly, with the active data dictionary support provided by VPME and VFP's view designer.

VPME provides view functionality that would be hard to duplicate in a backend database. For example, VPME allows you to relate views through special view filters. VPME also allows you to create view tags that provide special functionality.

Because of all the special functionality provided by VPME, VPME users just find it more effective to use VFP views.

Take some time to explore the Data Builder chapters in the VPME 9.1 Users Guide and you'll get an appreciation for what you can do with VPME's active data dictionary.
Best,

Joe Lawson
ProMatrix
JoeLawson

Postby JoeLawson » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:12 am

My responses to you have been based on the fact that I have never tried to use ODBC to make a connection from VFP to a view created in MySQL, MS SQL Server, et al. Because you couldn't do it, I, perhaps wrongly, assumed it couldn't be done for some reason.

However, it occurred to me that I have never asked you how you were trying to make the connection. What VFP tools were you using?

To use VPME/VFP to connect to something in a backend database, you should create a CursorAdapter or a remote view. Did you try that? If not, follow the instructions in the "Building Data: Views" chapter in the VPME 9.1 Users Guide to create a remote view that connects to your MySQL view. After you establish the connection to your MySQL database, can you see the MySQL views along with MySQL tables in the View Designer (see the Creating and Setting Up Remote Views section beginning on page 154 of the VPME 9.1 User's Guide). I would appreciate you're doing this so that I can get a better picture of what the correct answer to this issue is.

Finally, how much VFP experience do you have? Have you ever created an application with VFP? I've got to ask so that I know how much I can expect you to know about VFP.
Best,

Joe Lawson
ProMatrix
JoeLawson

Postby ChuckFlowers » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:05 am

In recently using the trial version of VPME, I used the CursorAdapter.
The server tables were all available for use in the CursorAdapter, but server views were not visible.

I have used VFP remote views in the past; can't remember if server views showed up or not.
I plan to try out VPME with VFP remote views soon to see if the server tables show up there there.

I also plan to try at some point and see if MS SQL Server views show up as virtual server tables in VFP.
I just don't have it set up right now to test.

It is supposed to be considered good db server security practice to not allow access directly to tables, only to views.
Or even better, stored procedures (for the big boys, anyway).
Initial thought was that large corporate accounts wouldn't allow VFP coders access to their tables.
And maybe why lots of people had to move on to Visual Studio ?

As far as my VFP experience level, I have been a database hobbyist since 1984, first FileMaker on the Mac then FoxPro on the Mac and on MS-DOS; now making a concerted effort to make the transition to expert.
Have put together a couple of small, minimalist apps in VFP.
I feel comfortable that I am not over my head in this conversation. Not yet, anyway.

BTW, FileMaker will ask if you want to access tables only, or include server views.
Supposed to work with MySQL, Oracle, and MS SQL Server.
ChuckFlowers

Postby ChuckFlowers » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:51 pm

Joe,

Using VPME, just created a VFP remote view, and lo and behold, the server views ARE SHOWING UP THERE.
Just not when using CursorAdapter.

Will test a bit more, didn't really want to use remote views.

Most of my prior points are moot; I'll just get comfortable with remote views again,
unless you can figure out how to enable server views using CursorAdapters.

Read a bit more of where you were using PHP & MySQL.
I wonder if server views show up in PHP ?
Web code of some sort is a goal; long felt that MySQL would be a easier path than others.

Chuck
ChuckFlowers

Postby JoeLawson » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:21 pm

Hi Chuck,

We use remote views for all our client-server work.

We were using views before cursor-adapters were available and didn't see any good reason for changing.

Glad to know that VFP can establish a connection to MySQL views via a remote view.
Best,

Joe Lawson
ProMatrix
JoeLawson

Return to VPM Enterprise 9.1 - Client Server