BUG: TableUpdate() with no SQLCommit()

The place for peer-to-peer support for developing client-server applications with VPME 9.1.

BUG: TableUpdate() with no SQLCommit()

Postby joelleach » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:44 am

Would someone mind posting this in the priority support forum? We no longer have a support subscription, but I think this bug is pretty serious for client/server development. I sent an email to ProMatrix, but never received a response. Thanks.
--------------------------------
We are finally finishing up adding SQL Server support to our app, and I ran into a problem. Here’s how to repro:

1. Activity Tracking should be turned on.
2. Your SDATA and SVPM remote views should be set up to use a shared connection.
3. Open up the Security->Users form, make a minor change, and Save. This could be another admin form, but the important thing is that the connection has now been put in “Manual Transaction” mode by SQLSetProp().
4. Open any form in your app so that a record gets added to the activity log.
5. Open SQL Server Management Studio and execute the following query: select * from svpmactivity where svpmactivity.tdatetime > dateadd(day,-1,GETDATE())
6. The query will never complete until you close your app.

The problem is that VPMApp.AdminTool_ActivityTracking() performs a TableUpdate(), but no SQLCommit(). So, the transaction is left open on SQL Server and no other connections/users can access the table until the transaction or connection is closed. There are several other places in VPMApp and VPMDataHandler that have the same problem. I can fix on my end (I wrote a TableCommit() function that includes SQLCommit()), but if you decide to post a fix in the ProMatrix Library forum, please let me know.

Thanks,

Joel Leach
joelleach

Re: BUG: TableUpdate() with no SQLCommit()

Postby JoeLawson » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:23 pm

Hi Joel,

We did get your email. Thank you for it.

We've added it to our list of items to look into.

In your client-server application have you moved the system databases to SQL Server. It sounds like you have, but I wanted to be sure.
Best,

Joe Lawson
ProMatrix
JoeLawson

Postby joelleach » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:55 pm

Hi Joe,

Sorry for the late reply. I've been working on other things since I posted this. To answer your question... yes we moved the system databases to SQL Server, but not all tables. We had previously split up those databases so we could put some tables on the workstation for improved performance (like the data dictionary tables). We are keeping those tables as DBFs on the workstation, but the tables that need to be shared (security, audit trail, etc.) are in SQL Server.

Thanks,

Joel
joelleach

Postby joelleach » Tue May 03, 2011 6:23 pm

Hi Joe,

Any word on a fix for this being put in the ProMatrix Library? If you don't think it will happen soon, I will need to fix myself. Please let me know either way.

Thanks,

Joel
joelleach

Postby jphilipp » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:45 pm

Was there a fix to this? I'm bumping into a similar issue. Thanks!
jphilipp

Return to VPM Enterprise 9.1 - Client Server