Creating Client/Server

The place for peer-to-peer support for developing client-server applications with VPME 9.1.

Creating Client/Server

Postby wftdata » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:39 pm

Hi,

I am considering converting an app from file server to client server. It is currently on VPM 9.0 because the upgrade from 6.0 was less painful. Unfortunately I did not use views on all my forms. I was told that 9.1 was better for C/S.

My question is it much work to convert my 9.0 app to 9.1? What must I do to upgrade it? Is their any instructional docs?

Also is there any white papers on how I can convert the app to C/S in VPME? Any help would be appreciated. I plan to use SQL Server if I go ahead with it. I don't have much experience with it. Looks painful to do....all my apps are using VFP dbfs and I need more security.

Thanks,

Bill
wftdata

Re: Creating Client/Server

Postby stecenko » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:39 pm

Hi,

I am doing all my apps now with a SQL engine and I'm using 9.1

I have worked on one VPME 9.0 app that used SQL. I didn't write it, but it was written from scratch in views.

If your app isn't all in views now, then I think that it would be easier to start over in VPME 9.1

I have upgraded two apps that I wrote in 9.1 to SQL and am in the process of re-writing an ancient app in VFP that I didn't write to SQL. I've been working on this one for 18 months and it has been brutal.

There are many nice features in 9.1 and you will probably find that in the original 6.0 you did things that you just wouldn't want to do in SQL.

If you have been upgrading the original app, but not using the new features that came along with OOPs and SQL, then making the app work with SQL will be painful. If you wrote the original app, then you know what bad habits you had then. If some one else wrote it, then be careful, very careful: do not commit to a time line or a fixed price.
Richard Stecenko
Interactive Computer Services Inc.
Victoria, British Columbia
stecenko

Postby wftdata » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:10 pm

Thanks Richard,

I think it will be painful since the original app was written in 5.0 and since migrated to 6 then 9.0. How do I upgrade to 9.1? I do have the software.

Do you think updating the app to 9.1, then changing all forms to access views will be the right thing to do? There is a lot of tables, forms and code I would like to keep. Then I would have to create the SQL tables and copy over the data and point my app to the SQL remote view.

Regards,

Bill
wftdata

Postby stecenko » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:32 pm

The first step is to change all the forms to access views. If the forms were originally created using DBFs, then that won't be easy and, more than likely, will not be desirable. There are many advantages to SQL and features that don't exist when using DBFs.

So if you just convert then all you'll have is a clunky DBFs based system that has been made even more clunky by placing it on top of a SQL engine.

I think you're better off starting from scratch using VPME 9.1 and SQL. Be sure your database uses a robust naming convention, surrogate keys, and doesn't need exclusive use or locking.

The Promatrix builder is fast and easy to use. You can create all your simple forms in a matter of hours.

Create all your views as remote views.

Do you care if the meta data remains in DBFs or do you want those in SQL as well? You can put all but the DD tables into SQL.
Richard Stecenko
stecenko

Postby stecenko » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:33 pm

If you want to phone me, it's faster than using posts.

Richard Stecenko
stecenko

Postby billamidon » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:22 pm

The only thing I would add is to create a separate library for almost every view or table. Don't put a bunch of views in a single DBC - if you trash it - it is a real pain. Also - local views to DBF was the best way to start and get some positive feedback in my personal experience. Later you can deal with remote views to DBF then finally remote to SQL. What type security are you mainly concerned with? Watch the locking contention issues with remote views in child tables in a busy multi user environment.

Don't be discouraged - it is indeed a commitment - but the reward will make it worth it. (Plus you have Richard!)
billamidon

Postby wftdata » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:03 pm

Thanks Bill for your input.

All forum users have been encouraging.....now I just got to jump in.

Have a great Holiday Season!

Bill
wftdata

Postby wftdata » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:07 pm

Just wondering.....I found a property that allows you to switch from local data to remote view (LocaltoRemote). Great for testing....

Is there a like property like that does the same for cursoradapters? Couldn't find one and not sure how to create one if needed. It would make my re=write and conversion a little less of a bear!

Thanks,

Bill
wftdata

Return to VPM Enterprise 9.1 - Client Server