MySQL with VPME

The place to discuss the rollout of the VPME 9.1 Client-Server SQL Toolkit. The VPME 9.1 Client-Server SQL Toolkit adds specialized tools to VPME 9.1 to facilitate the creation of a frontend to access MS SQL Server and MySQL backend databases.

MySQL with VPME

Postby Thomas Pang » Thu May 22, 2014 6:49 pm

Hi,

I'm working on a new project that require MySQL with VPME, but I'm too new to MySQL, anyone can suggest for the following :

1) any books or guild that can help on learning MySQL with VPME?

2) any toolkit available and how much for it?

TIA.
PCKOM TECHNOLOGI
VPME 9.12a
Thomas Pang

Re: MySQL with VPME

Postby Bob » Fri May 23, 2014 9:29 am

Whil Hentzen had some books on MySQL & VFP. Can't vouch for their usefulness or whether they help with VPM integration.

http://www.hentzenwerke.com/catalog/mysqlvfp.htm
Bob

Postby stecenko » Fri May 23, 2014 10:34 am

Are you asking about a book on SQL in general or on SQL with VPME in particular?

If the former, there are several; my favourite is "A Guide to SQL" by Philip J. Pratt.

If the latter, then there's nothing. However, in the VPME 9.1.12 Help, there is section on Client-Server Application. If you have already built a views-only application, then that might be all you need.

I use MS SQL Express and I have done a little work with My SQL; there are differences, but I wouldn't worry about them too much. The principles of developing a views-only VPME application are the same whether you are using My SQL, MS SQL, or VFP.
Richard Stecenko
Interactive Computer Services Inc.
Victoria, British Columbia
stecenko

Postby stecenko » Fri May 23, 2014 11:29 am

There are two useful books at Hentzenwerke...

MySQL Client-Server
and
Taming VFP SQL

They are very good and detailed. Taming is 152 pages and My SQL is 403 pages. Taming was published in 2005 and My SQL in 2007.

I haven't used either for a number of years, much is about SQL in general, why use client-server, and how to install. So I don't go back to them often.

But I do remember that at the time, they were valuable.
Richard Stecenko
Interactive Computer Services Inc.
Victoria, British Columbia
stecenko

Postby Thomas Pang » Sat May 24, 2014 3:14 am

Bob & Stecenko,

Thanks for the replies, I'm actually developing a hotel management system with VPME, due to the number of record, My SQL should be save in long run.

To start with minimum, I think I should spent some time with the client server of VPME help,

Thank you.
PCKOM TECHNOLOGI
VPME 9.12a
Thomas Pang

Return to VPME 9.1 Client-Server SQL Toolkit