Help Videos on You Tube

The place to discuss FoxPro issues not directly related to ProMatrix.

Help Videos on You Tube

Postby btiguy » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:02 pm

I'm considering putting some videos for my application on YouTube. I have created videos for many of the features of my application and it becomes a huge project to modify any of them and redistribute to each of the users. Therefore, I'm wondering if it's a good idea to put those videos on YouTube which would allow me to modify and update the videos as needed and thereby be available to each of my users. I'm not at all knowledgeable of you to but have created a test item and I am able to connect to it with the link feature of FoxPro.

One objection I have is that when the video is completed, the user is not immediately returned to the application and must then exit YouTube.

I would appreciate any comments anyone has regarding this consideration.
TIA
Don
btiguy

Re: Help Videos on You Tube

Postby stecenko » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:39 am

I'm not really sure about this, but...

You could put your videos in a folder on your web site.

Then if you used West Wind IPstuff, you could play the videos directly in your application.

I've used Westwind to display html in a browser control on a form. I'm sure if the html page had video, it would display as if you looked at it from Explorer.

There are ActiveX controls that you put on a VFP form to play a video. That would give you more control.

So what you could do is...
1) put all your videos in an FTP folder on some host;
2) in your application use Westwind to download the video to a folder on the user's hard drive;
3) then run the video with an activeX control on a form. The form can have video controls: stop, pause, rewind, etc.

You could in step 2, check to see if you already have downloaded the video file. Or you could have a form, that the user calls up, to download all the video files for later use. Maybe with a table to indicate which ones are new or modified, so the user isn't wasting time re-downloading.
Richard Stecenko
Interactive Computer Services Inc.
Victoria, British Columbia
stecenko

Re: Help Videos on You Tube

Postby stecenko » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:56 pm

You can also drop the Windows Media Player on a form and pass it the full path to a .mov file and it will play.
Richard Stecenko
Interactive Computer Services Inc.
Victoria, British Columbia
stecenko

Return to Visual FoxPro