cursor read only message from "station"

The place to discuss FoxPro issues not directly related to ProMatrix.

cursor read only message from "station"

Postby btiguy » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:14 pm

My app is on a Peer-to-peer network with a server and station. THe app (exe) reside on both computers and when the server and station are both running the, the station gets error messages the the update cursor is read-only and cannot update the cursor (on the server). I have no problem when I run the app on my office computers. Is there something in networking that might be causing the problem. I verified that the files are not marked as read only. THe client computers are running XP and my office Is using Win7.
TIA
Don
btiguy

Re: cursor read only message from "station"

Postby cti2 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:20 am

A list of this to check and things to troubleshoot, to help narrow the problem.
Is it always the work station that gets the errors and not the app at the server ?
If you start the W/S app all by itself is there still errors?
If you start the W/S app first and then start the Server app afterward does the server get the errors?
Does the W/S have FULL rights/permissions to the folders on the server?
The way to see if this is the problem and possibly rule out your app is to go into WinExplorer on the W/S, navigate to the folder on the server that houses the tables, right click and see if you can add a NEW text doc, and edit/save it, and then delete it. If you can't manage a simple TXT doc then you won't be able to have yourVFP/VPM app manage tables either.
Check to see if the W7 computer has SMB2 disabled (google for this)
Disable your A/V - spyware and see if it improves.
HTH , Pete Ryder
cti2

Re: cursor read only message from "station"

Postby Bob » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:28 am

At least on some Novell networks, write caching and file commit have to be set correctly.

Write Caching: OFF and File Commit: ON
Bob

Return to Visual FoxPro