Terminate running app

The place to discuss FoxPro issues not directly related to ProMatrix.

Terminate running app

Postby btiguy » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:52 am

Is there any way to terminate a running app (exe) on that peer-to-peer network? THere are times I want to update my users application, but they often don't exit my app on a station. I'm not concerned about losing data when the app is terminated.
TIA
Don
btiguy

Re: Terminate running app

Postby Gerhard Schmidbauer » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:37 am

I use a timer and check if a special file is there. If the file is found, I close down my app. To increase acceptance of kicking out customers I display a warning, change the background color and play a sound. If the customers don't get out after 5 minutes the app is shut down.

If I need to do some work where no one must be using my app I simple copy the special file in the EXE directory, get me some coffee and wait for the time to elapse.

HTH
Gerhard
Gerhard Schmidbauer
URANUS Software GmbH
Germany
Gerhard Schmidbauer

Re: Terminate running app

Postby wftdata » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:47 pm

Don,

I have used a Shutdown routine for many years now. It works as Gerhard suggested. He may have even been the one suggesting it to me many years ago. I have a shutdown and clear shutdown entry under ADMIN. The clear shutdown also resets all users in case they crashed and the status has them logged on. If you want me to send the Shutdown Form with the timers and the prgs that I use e-mail me and I'll be happy to forward them to you.

Regards,

Bill

William F. Todoro
wftdata@optonline.net
wftdata

Return to Visual FoxPro