FoxInCloud - or other?

The place to discuss and announce issues that don't relate directly to ProMatrix, but that are of interest to ProMatrix users. Feel free to use the Chatter forum as you like (as long as your use is in good taste).

Re: FoxInCloud - or other?

Postby rg400005 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:14 am

..Rainer's comment is critical:
Update : a real life example I made last week.
For booking a hotel room I have used on of this portals some weeks agao.
2 weeks before my travel I went to this portal again, to check if there is a better hotel or better price.
So I found, that the same room is now cheaper. I called the call center of this portal, they were very nice, and changed the room to the lower price.

The day I went to this hotel there was a big surprise.

My hotel room was cancelled..
Why ?
The portal sent me and the hotel the new booking confirmation by email, and the hotel the cancellation of the old booking. But something went wrong inside the way from the job queue to the auto mailer.
The hotel received the cancellation after the new booking.
But the hotel was nice and gave me an other room.

As you see, even if you have a perfect portal in a cloud, there are still some magic things happening, which are hard to control. But when you go your way to the cloud, you have to keep in mind they are there.....

Happy Easter.

Rainer
rg400005

Postby stecenko » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:00 pm

I've got a trivial Alpha 5 desktop app working and a trivial web app working. I can run the web app from my browser using localhost.

Now I'm trying to set up my development computer as a web server so my clients can see the pages as I develop them. I don't want to provide hosting services for my clients; I just want to show them what I'm doing.

So far, it hasn't been too painful working with Alpha. Great documentation.

Getting my Windows 7 computer to be a web server has been painful. I finally gave up and am having a techie come in tomorrow to do it.

I have several of my clients now with VFP/VPME and MS SQL. With Alpha 5 I can give them inquiries and simple data entry from the web.

It's a step forward.
Richard Stecenko
Interactive Computer Services Inc.
Victoria, British Columbia
stecenko

Postby rg400005 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:32 am

Hi,
[quote="stecenko"]
Getting my Windows 7 computer to be a web server has been painful. I finally gave up and am having a techie come in tomorrow to do it.
[/quote]

On Win7 IIs is included, don't forget to activate the 32 bit option. Good Example see: http://activevfp.codeplex.com/documentation.
Or if you like apache more : install an Lamp / Wamp stack. See : http://portableapps.com/apps/development/xampp
or https://bitnami.com/stack/wamp

HTH
Rainer
rg400005

Previous

Return to Chatter