Problems with InstallShield

The place to discuss and announce issues that don't relate directly to ProMatrix, but that are of interest to ProMatrix users. Feel free to use the Chatter forum as you like (as long as your use is in good taste).

Problems with InstallShield

Postby btiguy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:32 pm

I may have found my problem. Tables to be removed (deleted) cannot be in the InstallDir. However, you cannot add the tables to Sappupdt.dbf unless the table to be deleted are in the source folder (\MyApp).

Ignore the following.
I've tried to use the VMPE update feature. I believe that it work fine. However, when I run the INstallShield, it either doesn't update or I get errors that certain files in my app can't be opened.

In InstallShield, I create a separate folder for tine InstallDir. My application is in \MyApp and I put the update in \MyApp\MyUpdate. I have tried to put the varions Sappupd.* files in \MyApp\MyUpdate, \MyApp and even put the \MyUpdate folder off the Root. Nothing seems to work.

Any advice as to what I should be doing. I'm at a point where I prefer to not learn a new install program if I can avoid it.

Thanx
Last edited by btiguy on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TIA
Don
btiguy

Re: Problems with InstallShield

Postby Bob » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:26 am

I use Inno Setup for my installs. ( http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php ) Too frustrated with the Install shield ...

I typically build both a 'Full' and 'Update' versions of my software. The Update version uses the VPM update builder and I simply need to add the sappupdt.* files and VPM update .exe (along with requisite application files). The Inno install places the files on the user's C drive, then runs the VPM install.
Bob

Postby btiguy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:40 pm

This happens too often. I may have just been successful in updating. The only issue at this time, is that I include my new exe (MyApp.exe) in Installshield and it doesn't copy form the update folder to the users \MyApp folder. I'll continue to play with this.

IGNORE THE FOLLOWING AT THIS TIME.
I find that Sappupd.exe is not working. THerefore, I need to better understand.
My application folder is \MyApp. In it are various tables and DBC's. Let's assume I need to update the user \MyApp with all tables and DBC's. So, I copy them to \MyApp_Update1 folder. Then I create an InstallShield. On the users computer, a folder is made off the root named c:\MyApp_Update1 and it contains all the files from my computer. Right so far?

On the users computer, if I try to run Sappupd.exe from \MyApp, I get errors that the tables can't be copied. So, I've moved Sappupd.exe to another folder and it runs fine, but the users tables are not updated.

Any help will be appreciated. I have tried various different configurations and just can't seem to get what I expect.

Thanx
TIA
Don
btiguy

Postby btiguy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:32 pm

All is well in the town of Mudville. It is now working properly. I guess I was fighting the ideal.
TIA
Don
btiguy

Return to Chatter