Migrate to MySQL?

The place to discuss and announce issues that don't relate directly to ProMatrix, but that are of interest to ProMatrix users. Feel free to use the Chatter forum as you like (as long as your use is in good taste).

Migrate to MySQL?

Postby btiguy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:14 pm

My app is a POS and sometimes used by multiple physical locations, Store 1, Store 2, etc. Unless those stores link to a terminal server, etc. they cannot share data. I'm wondering if a solution might be to use the Internet and redevelop my FoxPro application into PHP and MySQL. I am not a computer geek and self-taught in FoxPro's and using Pro Matrix. Can anyone give me some guidance?
TIA
Don
btiguy

Re: Migrate to MySQL?

Postby stecenko » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:52 pm

You can do some wonderful things with PHP, but not as wonderful as you can do on a desktop.

There are two areas that you must learn more about: SQL and front-end development tools (like PHP).

SQL is easy. If your entire application is written with views and there are no replaces, locks, or anything that deals directly with the DBF, then replacing the DBFs with SQL is easy. Tedious, but easy.

Then you have to decide what front-end you are going to use. I quickly googled 'web-based pos' and found lots. I'd suggest you look at many of them and decide if your application can work with those kinds of front-ends.

Also, go to an Apple store and see what web-based pos looks like when it's pushed to the extreme. Your clients are out their shopping and they see how easy it is to complete the purchase with smart phones and tablets; they want to to provide the same service to their customers.

I'm 99.99% sure the back-end will be SQL and equally sure the front-end won't be PHP.
Richard Stecenko
Interactive Computer Services Inc.
Victoria, British Columbia
stecenko

Re: Migrate to MySQL?

Postby rg400005 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:42 am

Hi Don,
once upon a time, I have been told, VFP will not be supported by MS anymore....
So I had to rethink my develop struct... ( backoffce banking apps, and some desktop apps for sport backoffice).
- Yes Online everywhere in a browser ,... -
I started with J2EE and other nice things like Omnis Studio, Servoy,....PHP,....
They are very powerful but... : will it get payed...
In 2012 I went back to VFP and Promatrix. And Im still very happy.
And I learned : not anything must be done online in a browser

What I ended with (maybe only fit for me...)
I have a fat backend ( my VFP App), and a cheap frontend. The only thing the frontend can do is displaying data in a browser....I have done it with PHP ( Drupal, Open Atrium), AVFP and ended up with J2EE and OpenCms - so I dont forget my J2EE roots.

Maybe all your apps can work on one central database server with a fixed IP. And keep your VFP-Database even only as a chaching engine. Also makes the development easier.

Today everyhing is cloud and SAS.
But even the hendhelds are now thinking of going back to some native part of the app. A very long time ago I worked with mainframes.

The data is still the same, only the style of the frontend has changed...

Some ideas of somebody who is now 30 years in the it-bus, and since 2002 in the automotive bus.

Rainer
rg400005

Return to Chatter