Symantec Backup Exec

The place to discuss and announce issues that don't relate directly to ProMatrix, but that are of interest to ProMatrix users. Feel free to use the Chatter forum as you like (as long as your use is in good taste).

Symantec Backup Exec

Postby stecenko » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:49 pm

A client apparently had a virus. The techie people erased the entire folder that contained my application in order to remove the virus. But when they tried to do restore using Symantec Backup Exec, the restore would not work. The techie people said that Backup Exec detected a virus in the backup and would not restore the tables.

The techie people say they phoned Symantec and Symantec could not offer any suggestions on how to restore the data.

Does any one have any ideas about this? I've googled "Symantec foxpro" and have found several indications that Symantec has had 'problems' with DBFs and CDXs. But, no solutions.
Richard Stecenko
Interactive Computer Services Inc.
Victoria, British Columbia
stecenko

Re: Symantec Backup Exec

Postby DavidLeMesurier » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:13 pm

I had an issue with this some time ago.

I now use a routine that zips up the data folder to create a backup when the user exits the application.

That way the zip file is backed on the network rather than individual dbf and cdx files.

I was never able to get my dbf and cdx files back, but am not very tech savie on the backup software.
DavidLeMesurier

Postby stecenko » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:22 pm

David,

I did not want to hear that.

Surely there must be some way to tell Backup Exec that the tables are OK.
Richard Stecenko
stecenko

Postby Bob » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:13 pm

Perhaps they should be looking at an anti-virus program to scan the backup .... perhps a Symantec product would be able to mount the backup for such a scan.
Bob

Postby cti2 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:30 pm

Curious minds ...
Why would SYMANTEC B/E actually backup files with known viruses in the first place, but then refuse to restore becuase of a virus???
I didn't know that Symantec B/E has virus detection in it ????
Are the 'techies" sure that the files are in fact there ??
Pete Ryder
cti2

Postby cti2 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:37 pm

I don't fully trust any backup solution (except my own <s>)
I use the server's sheduler to run a VFP program I wrote close all Files at a certain time in the wee morning hours.
(Many users never shutdown the FOX and VFP apps anyhow.)
Then 30 mins later a separate workstation copies all FOX/VFP files to itself.
Then it ZIPS all the files in to one ZIP.
Then it sends the zip to my FTP site with a unique file name.
This way there are at least two other sets of backups of all the client's files.
Pete Ryder (possibly anal, but never lost a file yet)
cti2

Postby stecenko » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:46 pm

Hi Pete,

The techies claim that the tables are visible in the display of the contents. But B/E refuses to restore them.

I also don't believe that that B/E is causing the problem. I think that there's a firewall around the server and the firewall is refusing to let the tables onto the server.

I think that if the firewall were disabled or the restore was attempted to an old computer, it would work.

But, I'm able to convince the techies.
Richard Stecenko
stecenko

Postby DavidLeMesurier » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:44 am

Yes I would have thought that there must be a way to make it do what it is told.

The other reason I prefer zip files is the same as Pete, you are not relying on other software to restore stuff for you.

What happens is the SQL server that B/E uses to store all the changes to your files gets messed up, then you have nothing.

If it won't restore it do they have teh verifiy set on when they are backing up, if it can verify the file when it backed it up it should be able to put it back. If verify is off then the whole backup process is a waste of time.

At least with zips I can burn them to a CD and have off site copies as well, plus I can restore them to any machine at any time.

I think a combination of B/E and doing zip stuff by hand is best as that way you get the best of both worlds

For development I use vault hitting my server and also zip up once a week from local machine.

stecenko wrote:David,

I did not want to hear that.

Surely there must be some way to tell Backup Exec that the tables are OK.
DavidLeMesurier

Postby ChuckASI » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:52 pm

I am a little like Pete on this. Most of my customers are, shall we say, "tech stupid", and most don't even have a "server", simply a shared system. Get calls all the time, "how do I restore my files to yesterday". "What kind of backup do you have?" "I don't know." "I don't think it has worked for the last 4 months." "Sorry, can't help you." So I wrote my own little VFP program that prompts for the day and then runs a bat file with command line calls to WinZip to back up the clients data files(for my software) to a specific folder preferably on a DIFFERENT hard drive. I then have a second routine that will copy that "Backup Folder" to a thumb drive that they can run at end/beginning of week so depending on how many thumb drives they rotate will give them many weeks of backup.
Chuck Prickett
Associated Systems, Inc.
chuckp@associatedsys.com
ChuckASI

Postby DavidLeMesurier » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:19 pm

Chilckat zip controls are very good and easy to implement in VFP so you can use 100% vfp code to do the zip and unzip

Plus get the client ot get a DropBox or similar cloud account and send the zip to that, so it is off site

ChuckASI wrote:I am a little like Pete on this. Most of my customers are, shall we say, "tech stupid", and most don't even have a "server", simply a shared system. Get calls all the time, "how do I restore my files to yesterday". "What kind of backup do you have?" "I don't know." "I don't think it has worked for the last 4 months." "Sorry, can't help you." So I wrote my own little VFP program that prompts for the day and then runs a bat file with command line calls to WinZip to back up the clients data files(for my software) to a specific folder preferably on a DIFFERENT hard drive. I then have a second routine that will copy that "Backup Folder" to a thumb drive that they can run at end/beginning of week so depending on how many thumb drives they rotate will give them many weeks of backup.
DavidLeMesurier

Return to Chatter