Windows Server 2008R2 battles

The place to discuss and announce issues that don't relate directly to ProMatrix, but that are of interest to ProMatrix users. Feel free to use the Chatter forum as you like (as long as your use is in good taste).

Windows Server 2008R2 battles

Postby ChuckASI » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:41 pm

It's been a long 5 days! Had a customer that is running my VPM system on WS 2008 64bit with Windows 7 64bit PC's. All of a sudden the other day they started getting Access Denied or No file in selected area whenever the system would try to get exclusive rights to a file to do Pack/Reindex. Followed advice of many on here and others out in the cyber world that for sure SMB2 and OPLOCKS had to be disabled. We went through that and still NO LOVE! A lot of head scratching. In the end we find that the KAPERSKY AntiVirus is a bastion from HELL. As soon as we DISABLE Kapersky the system runs like a dream. Allows exclusive rights just fine now. Any others encountered this? Or any other war stories of dealing with WS 2008. I have another customer that is getting ready to install a new 2008 server and I sure don't want to have this battle again. Interesting thing, ALL of the PC's are Win7 64bit and running my software from the Server and all of the Files are Free Tables ON the Server, including the exe's. (I didn't think that was possible)
Chuck Prickett
Associated Systems, Inc.
chuckp@associatedsys.com
ChuckASI

Re: Windows Server 2008R2 battles

Postby cti2 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:54 pm

Hey Chuck:
VFP is 32Bit only. W7 & 2008 have a built in software called WOW64 that detects 32bit apps running, and creates a 32bit enviroment for them. If you go into Task Manager all the 32bit apps will have an asterisk next to them showing they are really running as 32bit apps in WOW64.
This is why VFP will run on 64 bit machines without any special tweaks by you.
All my customers run Symantec AV so never I havent heard of the Kasperky issue.
Rest assured though, that the server still needs SMB2 disabled - without a doubt.
The errors VFP throws if SMB2 is NOT disabled are different than the ones you were getting with KAV
HTH, Pete Ryder
cti2

Postby ChuckASI » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:09 pm

Thanks for the info Pete! One other thing that we set was on the server was CachedOpenLimit to 0 to disable. This was clear back on Server 2003. My system would issue a Close on a table but the Server wouldn't "totally" release it for about 10 seconds and we would get the error that we couldn't get exclusive rights to a file on occasion.
Chuck Prickett
Associated Systems, Inc.
chuckp@associatedsys.com
ChuckASI

Postby Stephen Ibbs » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:09 am

Hi Chuck

I posted a thread about Kaspersky some time ago warning that it seems to happily crunch vfp tables and indices. At the time I assumed it was the vpm low level file stuff in pack/reindex that was triggering the Kaspersky system so wrote my own reindex routine without low-level calls. However some problems still remained.

We tackled it in two ways:

1) Make sure the application is a 'trusted application'. Here in UK the tech support for Kaspersky is quite friendly and with the plethora of their products we could not keep up with advising users how to set the app to be trusted, so we now advise them to contact Kaspersky direct and get it sorted.

2) We obtained digital file signatures for our products from Comodo (via TUCOWS.COM as it was significantly cheaper than going to Comodo direct). Our assumption is that Kaspersky would recognise these and automatically mark our apps as trusted.

Since then the number of Kaspersky related corruption has dropped off the cliff.
Stephen Ibbs
Data Developments
Stephen Ibbs

Postby Bob » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:00 am

I have had problems with Norton Internet Security quarrantining VPM executables. Even new compiles of existing exclusions seem to trigger a new exclusion.
Bob

Postby ChuckASI » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:47 am

I got an update to my Norton AntiVirus a few weeks ago and it reactivated all of the real time scanning. I had to go in and exclude all my VPM exe directories because it started quarantining every thing I tried to run. I think that is what happened with this Kapersky. They had actually just started running it in April with no probs, but some happened last week that cause all hell to break loose.
Chuck Prickett
Associated Systems, Inc.
chuckp@associatedsys.com
ChuckASI

Return to Chatter