Migrate from VFP9

The place to discuss and announce issues that don't relate directly to ProMatrix, but that are of interest to ProMatrix users. Feel free to use the Chatter forum as you like (as long as your use is in good taste).

Re: Migrate from VFP9

Postby Stephen Ibbs » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:28 am

FOFC

Foxpro Old Farts Club
Stephen Ibbs
Data Developments
Stephen Ibbs

Postby Bob » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:16 am

I'll second that ... lately I have found myself suffering from FID - Framework Induced Dementia: forgetting stuff that you used to know but have not thought about for 20 years as your framework takes care of it for you.
Bob

Postby ChuckASI » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:48 pm

Or it could just be OFF

"Old FoxPro Farts"
Chuck Prickett
Associated Systems, Inc.
chuckp@associatedsys.com
ChuckASI

Postby icdev » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:00 pm

Forget MS, what I would prefer is a Linux workstation running Wine or linwin, or something that will execute VFP/VPME applications - should extend the lifetime of VFP/VPME for a good long time. I have been meaning to work on this, but can never find enough time in the day. I would glady remove all Windows workstations and replace them with Linux workstations running my VFP application. We have been using Linux Samba server for years to hold our shared VFP database files.

Age 49 here, so have a few years to catch you guys, and would like to see VPME working for a good time into the future - currently have a large VPME application that I am in the process of converting one form at a time to use MySQL as backend. The learning curve has been interesting - Promatrix videos have really helped me out. We use perl, php and Mysql in our ecommerce environment. Php will pull data from VPME files using a linux odbc program that is needs to be more reliable (odbtp) - reason why I am converting forms and database to mysql - allows use of native php mysql interface.

-Steve

PS, Part of the VFP plan would also be to have Promatrix aquire the source code of VFP from MS !!
icdev

Postby stecenko » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:49 pm

Richard Stecenko
Interactive Computer Services Inc.
Victoria, British Columbia
stecenko

Previous

Return to Chatter