Migrate from VFP9

The place to discuss and announce issues that don't relate directly to ProMatrix, but that are of interest to ProMatrix users. Feel free to use the Chatter forum as you like (as long as your use is in good taste).

Re: Migrate from VFP9

Postby stecenko » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:17 pm

Good points.

I'm not going to retire in the near future. And I also see my self slowly fading away rather than retiring suddenly on my 65th birthday. Last spring I received a 4-year BA and I'm applying for acceptance in a Masters program (part-time).

But, I don't want to keep fighting VFP's slow deprecation. I'm willing to learn a new language; I've learned many of them over the years, what's one more?

That's why I'm interested in what any of the youngsters (say under 50) have to say on this subject. Out of the mouths of babes...
Richard Stecenko
Interactive Computer Services Inc.
Victoria, British Columbia
stecenko

Postby Bob » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:33 am

Are your degrees in computer sciecne or related field?
Bob

Postby stecenko » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:01 am

My BA is in Rhetoric, Writing, and Communication.
Richard Stecenko
stecenko

Postby cti2 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:15 am

One unknown to me and of concern is, what lanquage could compete with VFP's extremely fast data manipulation / retreval etc. ??
Also VFP is very fast with large tables. My clients have many tables approching 1 million records and because of VFP's very fast indexes - there is little apparent speed decrease with large tables.
It's not perfect, but I'de be in deep $&*%^* if I ever switched and performance took a hit.
Besides, in my case with very large apps with hundreds of forms and FRX's - its not just learning a new lauguage - everything would need to be rewritten. Time consuming and costly.
Pete
cti2

Postby stecenko » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:02 pm

In your case, a total re-write would be unproductive. But, for me the question is not whether I should my re-write my existing applications in a different language, but which language should I use for my next application.

It's pointless to re-write an existing application just because Microsoft will cease supporting VFP in a few years. Nevertheless, some of the pressure to switch to another language is coming from clients that want some processing done on the Internet, either simple data entry or displaying data. So far, I've been able to satisfy this requirement with by exporting/importing data from VFP to MySQL. But, as the requirements become more sophisticated and complex, I will have to create MySQL databases that can be used by both PHP and VFP.
Richard Stecenko
stecenko

Postby ChuckASI » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:15 am

Sounds pretty sweet Pete. I will turn 61 this year. Am still maintaining around 35 customers remotely. Still have an office as many of them still need that "security blanket" of a real person to talk to, but I still help them and maintain their system by pcAnyWhere or Radmin or LogMeIn or Remote Desktop. Have told all of them, "As long as your using it, I will probably be around to support it". Don't have any clear cut timeline down the road that I plan to walk away. Probably when it gets below 20 I'll simply put it to them, "find something else or it may be a few hours to a day before I respond", and eventually "you have to find something else, forget my Phone#". Kind of like you, I guess my Customers will dictate when I retire. As long as Fox still does the job, I'm sticking to it.
Chuck Prickett
Associated Systems, Inc.
chuckp@associatedsys.com
ChuckASI

Postby cti2 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:27 pm

Same Boat Chuck !
cti2

Postby Stephen Ibbs » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:09 am

Hmm - interesting - everyone that has posted is in their 60s I think. Shelagh (wife) and I work together in our company and we are both 61 this year. We are going to shuffle off this mortal coil slowly, so have now cut down to 4 days per week, taking a 4-day break Fri-Mon every fortnight. It's great! Elder son is finance director and will take over from us eventually. Out of a staff of 7, he now has line-management responsibility for everybody - except us fellow directors !!

We think we are going to stick with vfp for our current apps, and 18 months ago appointed a f/t vfp programmer to essentially start taking over my weork, develop new apps, and also to develop new language skills: Servoy, Lianja, NetVPME ???????? et al. We are now planning to appoint a dedicated programmer in php, vb.net, c#, Java, or something - we haven't yet decided - as our customers are asking whether our apps will 'work across the net' - though when we probe a bit deeper they don't actually know what that means and what they want - just that it sounds up-to-date and the sort of question to ask!
Stephen Ibbs
Data Developments
Stephen Ibbs

Postby dkreuzen » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:06 am

I'm 63 this year and I plan on retiring as soon as my current project turns from development mode to maintenance mode. Hopefully that will happen in about a year...
So I am another who is not going to learn another language to replace VFP.
Thanks,

Dennis Kreuzenstein
Senior Software Engineer
Air Monitor Corp.

VPME 6.0 & 9.1.12a
VFP 9 SP2
dkreuzen

Postby cti2 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:34 pm

Gee, it looks like Bob Stone started a trend, should we form a Club or something ? <s><g>
Pete Ryder
cti2

PreviousNext

Return to Chatter